Putting Off Car Care? Why You Should Stop Stalling
Overdue for an oil change or a brake inspection? Whatever the service, by postponing necessary maintenance, you may be causing extensive damage to your vehicle and increasing the chance of a breakdown. With National Car Care Month in April upon us, now is a great time to get your vehicle serviced.
"Many people don't realize the consequences of putting off needed vehicle maintenance. Not only can neglecting vehicle service cause safety issues if ignored, but it can lead to costly repairs down the road," said Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council. "With nearly 80 percent of vehicles needing service, a new part and/or repair, chances are your vehicle could use some extra attention."
Mercedes-Benz of Coral Gables recommends following your vehicle's service schedule and performing the most common routine maintenance procedures to keep your vehicle performing at its best.
1. Check all fluids, including engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
2. Check the brake systemannually and have the brake linings, rotors and drums inspected at each oil change.
3. Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
4. Check the hoses and beltsto make sure they are not cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or showing signs of excessive wear.
5. Check the heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systemas proper heating and cooling performance is critical for interior comfort and safety reasons, such as defrosting.
6. Check the wipers and lightingso that you can see and be seen. Check that all interior and exterior lighting is working properly and replace worn wiper blades so you can see clearly when driving during precipitation.
Be sure to fully inspect your vehicle annually, including performing a tune-up and wheel alignment. If you suspect there is a problem, don't stall. Address it quickly before minor repairs become more complicated, expensive repairs.
To schedule a service appointment, please click here.